As we prepare for this 4th of July, let us remember, that more important than the flags, footlongs and fireworks are the FIVE simple truths that led to our independence.
Once viewed as "self-evident" they seem to have fallen out of favor lately. May they be embraced once again, and used to guide any future actions to
secure our safety & happiness.
1) That all people are created equal,
2) That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
3) That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness,
4) That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,
5) That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute
new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their
Safety and Happiness.
Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that humanity are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Here’s to independence!